Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mei-Mei (Little Sister)!

Today is Guan's first birthday! We miss being with her on this special day but look forward to celebrating many birthdays with her in the years ahead. Sue, Zoe, and I decided to celebrate with a cake and a candle even though Guan isn't home with us yet. We each made a wish for Guan as we blew out the candle.


We're also thinking of Guan's birth mother and the incredibly difficult thing she did a year ago in giving up her newborn daughter. We hope this anniversary brings her hope that her daughter has a good life.


Here's a picture of Guan and the orphanage assistant director taken yesterday by Penny, a friend we met through the Jiang Cheng SWI Yahoo group. Penny is currently in China adopting her daughter, who also was at the Jiang Cheng SWI. She visited the orphanage and kindly took pictures of the kids who recently have been referred for adoption.

And here are photos of two other girls. We think the first may have also been referred this month. The second is Jiang Cheng Cai, a two-and-a-half year old who is still in the orphanage. Director Tan of the Jiang Cheng SWI is holding these girls. All three kids were reportedly on their way to naptime when this photo op was arranged. They definitely look like me when I'm overdue for my nap!





Many thanks for the many good wishes and love you have sent our way! And our love to all of you in return.


Scott

4 comments:

lieblingk said...

the lady in the picture is actually the assistant director . She is so kind hearted and absolutely adores the children. I thought for sure she was going to squash JAsmine when she hugged her at the orphanage visit

Martha said...

Thanks for posting these ... the last photo is Cai. She was our original referral back in Sept '06 ... but she got very sick right before we traveled so we couldn't adopt her. They gave us another baby from JC, our Zoe.

I can't believe how big Cai is getting ... I haven't seen a picture of her in several months and I've never seen a picture of her smiling - though several families have snapped pics for me.

I still have a big attachment to her ... she was just days away from becoming a permanent member of our family when her illness changed everything.

Thanks again for posting. It is wonderful to see her again. I want the director to know that we still pray and care about her. I hope that she finds her forever family soon. Unfortunately, she's not been referred to a new family since recovering from her illness. :(

Martha C.
www.zoesplace.blogspot.com

Grandpa said...

Cute Kid. Must have father's hair genes.

Grandpop

FreeStyleMama - Diana said...

How special that you got to see a current pic of your new sweetie as you celebrate her birthday! Just wonderful!

I wanted to let you know that I have a child from China and I do blog makeovers. I would be happy to give your blog a new look. You can get more info at customblogdesigns.blogspot.com

Diana